Saturday 12 January 2013

Magi: Episodes 1 - 9

 
This anime is seriously awesome. Not to mention that the art style is very cute.
 
I suppose Magi would be a sort of re-work of the original concept of Aladdin, except with a bunch of supernatural other concepts thrown in. There are a good number of characters, which makes for several different personalities and ideas.
 
The main protagonist, Aladdin, is personally my favourite character. And not just because he's the main protagonist.
 
 
What really sets off a good aura about him is that he's not rash whatsoever, unlike most main protagonists in many different genres of anime. What makes that characteristic of him even better is that he's a freakin' kid. Aladdin is simply a likable character. Oh and he's so adorable. :D

Alibaba is also another great character. His personality is a setback for me though, because, around episode 8-9, he starts having personality fluxes, which has to do with his past blahblahblah and he started to get annoying. However by the end of ep 9, he reinstated in himself that he isn't a complete idiot and that he still has certain defining traits.
His design is what draws my attention to him. He's very visually appealing, and I think that the design and colour pallet was very well done. But I think it's hilarious as to how short his dagger is...
 

 
Another thing I enjoy about Magi is that the art style is fabulously great. It's quite visually appealing and, with some characters, there's that grosteque comic ideal towards them, which pretty much drives the viewer to dislike them. Outfit designs are great. I really like the theme of "Aladdin" and the magic-carpet kinda thing. It's really flashy, with a bunch of rich colours, but all at the same time, it's plain and simple. God, I love Aladdin-styled clothing.
 

.
Some characters however are pretty annoying and they honestly piss me off. Though I bet that's the entire point of having those characters in there is to get the viewer to hate them. Characters such as Cassim for example. Firstly, his hair, to me, is exceptionally unappealing, not that I have anything against dreadlocks. His personality is annoying. He's one of those characters in which revenge and hatred have a deep root from somewhere along their past. So... Irritating...
 


 
Plot development is so-so.
Sometimes I feel like the air of the anime is a bit too happy, which gets me kind of tired of the story. But it's a good thing that it's always revived with a bit of dark stories or a hateful event or something of that sort.
 
I think that character introduction falls a bit short, since everything happens too quickly between ceertainly episodes. But other than, there are a variety of new characters that are introduced, all of which have their pros and cons.
 
There's plenty of humour along the way, which is pretty good, since a lot of the conflicts are quite serious. Side characters are usually used as comic relief, along with a couple main ones.
 
Somewhere around certain parts of certain episodes, for me, there was complete confusion.
I was like: ... whatidontgetitwhatthehellrandomcharacteridontevenknow

This was when new characters came tumbling in, getting more screentime than usual secondary characters. This was also when I began a growing hatred towards certain characters because of misunderstandings and such.

It wasn't all too confusing. But still I would've preferred a less sudden introduction and maybe less characters...?

Considering this is still an ongoing series, more characters will appear and, most likely, it'll all come to a point where I go:

OHHHHHHHHHHHHH
I FREAKIN' GET IT NOWW
AHAHAHAHAH I WAS SO STUPID...
 
Followed by a prominent *FACEDESK*
 
Well, since it's still on-air, I'll continue watching what I haven't yet, which is about 4 episodes, I think.
 
So, the adventure continues...


No comments:

Post a Comment